SCHOOL YEAR 2016-17
Murphy High School
1st Block Tardies:
· The tardy bell rings at 7:20. Any student not in class at that time must report to the main office to sign the tardy log and receive a tardy pass to class.
· All tardies are unexcused except for those caused by Mobile County Public School transportation, inclement weather as determined by the principal, court appearances, and doctor or dentist appointments.
· Every four unexcused tardies equal one unexcused absence.
· After 15 tardies, a referral will be made to the Early Warning Truancy/Discipline Program (per SS-502, see below)
2nd-5th Block Tardies:
· Students who are tardy must sign the classroom teacher’s tardy log.
· Students who are between 15 and 30 minutes late will be marked tardy by the classroom teacher and written up as skipping using the Student Behavior Tracking Referral.
· Students who are more than 30 minutes late are marked absent and written up as skipping using the Student Behavior Tracking Referral.
· Only those listed in the school computer as official contacts may request an early dismissal.
· Students must give their parent/guardians’ requests for early dismissal to their 1st block teachers who will fill out and turn in the early dismissal form. Teachers will keep notes on file.
· Students must check out through the office.
· A parent/guardian may check a student out by going to the main office, presenting an I.D., and requesting the student’s release.
· Early dismissals may not be arranged via phone.
· No dismissals will be allowed after 2:00 PM.
Murphy High School follows the MCPS Attendance Policy Grade 9-12 (SS-502).
Here are highlights of that document:
· Anytime a student is absent, the parent/guardian must send a note to excuse the absence. A student may have 4 parent-excused absences per full-credit term and 2 absences per half-credit term.
· On the fifth unexcused absence, a referral will be made to the Early Warning Truancy/Discipline Program.
· Chronic ailments letters must be renewed at the beginning of every school year.
· Students over age 17 who accumulate 10 consecutive unexcused absences or 15 total unexcused absences may be withdrawn from school.
· High School Credit is restricted on the basis of excessive absences.
· Our attendance liaison is Mr. Autry.
· To read the entire policy, click here: Policy